Tuesday 14 November 2017

Thor: Ragnarok

Starring Chris Hemsworth, Mark Ruffalo, Cate Blanchett, Tessa Thompson, Idris Elba and Tom Hiddleston
Directed by Taika Waititi


Synopsis – Thor returns to Asgard following his visions of its destruction and battles with and against different parts of his family in an attempt to protect the people.

Review - Having seen a few reviews from trusted sources, I went into this film thinking I would be in for a good time. Also, having seen a few of Taika’s previous films, I felt pretty prepared for his style of humour. However, the first two acts of this film were as good as any comedy film I have seen this year – if not funnier – and I struggled to stop laughing.

Chris Hemsworth’s comedy timing is on point, Mark Ruffalo pulls in great laughs both as the toddler-like Hulk and the geeky Banner – even the uber-cool Tessa Thompson pulls in a big laugh with a Jennifer Saunders-esque entrance. And Taika’s Korg is very funny throughout – sometimes a bit too funny when you don’t want him to be.

The CGI is fantastic; the influence of films like Lord of the Rings and Flash Gordon are evident and it all felt like a nice warm blanket of pure escapism – which is exactly what we all need right now! Its funny, its warm, its uplifting. What more could you want from the cinema?

This film is not perfect – there are some flaws. Parts are quite rushed such as the Odin bit (not going to spoil anything for you lovely people) and the other Marvel cameo. However, you can kind of forgive it as what it rushes to is pure Gold(blum) – (yes he’s in it and yes he’s awesome).

I am aware that I haven’t said anything about Cate Blanchett. Now those of you who know me, know how much I love CB and think she’s one of the best actors of all time. However, she just feels a step out of the rest of the film. I feel like the character wasn’t developed or rounded enough for her to really give a legendary Blanchett performance. But hey who am I to tell Cate Blanchett how to act?

I understand as well that some of you may be tired of the same old Marvel / superhero format and I get that (my wife says the same thing to me every time one of these films comes out). So if that’s how you feel then you probably should give this a miss. I, on the other hand, have been watching superhero films/TV programmes and reading comics for as long as I can remember – and when they are done as well as this I will keep watching them.

Fun fact: Did you know that this film in its first two weeks has made more than Thor 1 and 2 combined? Apparently so. And rightly so, because its better than those two films put together.

In summary – this is more towards Guardians than Cap’ on the Marvel barometer, but it is definitely the best Thor film of the trilogy and probably just squeezes into my top 5 Marvel films.

Go and see if…you like superhero films – and make sure you take some popcorn!

Rating – 8/10

If you want to discuss this review or any other films with me - I am on twitter @lucystrakerco




No comments:

Post a Comment