Saturday 14 March 2015

One Happie Chappie

Film reviewed - Chappie by Neil Blomkamp

Starring - Sharlto Copley, Dev Patel, Hugh Jackman and Sigourney Weaver

Synopsis - Deon (Patel) creates an artificial intelligence programme which he secretly uploads to a defunct cop robot whilst in the hands of local criminals. CEO Michelle Bradley (Weaver) and engineer Vincent Moore (Jackman) must stop at nothing to protect the company's reputation.

Review - When I left the cinema after watching Chappie I felt like a kid again. As a massive fan of Short Circuit this story appealed to my inner child just as much as watching a rerun of Batteries Not Included on a Sunday afternoon. I felt like I had been on a journey. I felt exhausted. I cried, I laughed, I sat on the edge of my seat. What more do you want from a film?

The overriding word that rings in my ears is heartwarming. Its clever, child-like quality tugs on your heart strings like no other. It's hard to watch something as beautifully innocent as Chappie be treated so badly in the beginning and I still shed a tear when I think back. You just want to give him/her a big, metally hug and tell him/her everything's ok. 

I have read a lot of reviews which claim Chappie is irritating, however every person I know who has seen the film has only said how much they love him/her. 

The inclusion of Ninja and Yolandi is a little strange. Ninja is not convincing but the ending does give you hope. Yolandi is an interesting character who grows into her role, almost like she realises her importance in Chappie's life.

My only criticism (and I can't believe I am about to say this) falls with the fantastic Sigourney Weaver. I spent the climax of the film hoping (and praying) that she was going to pull a flame thrower from underneath her big executive desk and start taking out the bad guys. Stay away from Chappie you b*tch! But what did we get? Nothing. You expect heart and fight from Sig and this saddened me. 

The real brilliance of this film lies with the huge amount of political and cultural layers which use Chappie to reflect the atrocities which have plagued racial division in South Africa. This point could be missed if you had your sci-fi head on but should not be forgotten. Neil Blomkamp has tried to reflect this unsuccessfully in District 9 and Elysium, but here he has the balance spot on. If he carries on like this, I'm getting excited for Aliens 5.

Go see it if...you still think Johnny 5 is alive.

Score - 10/10

No comments:

Post a Comment